It’s not just your imagination. Trucking accidents resulting in injury or death on our highways are a frequent occurrence.
According to a 2018 report by the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles, semi-trucks and tractor-trailers were involved in 5,115 total crashes resulting in a staggering 67 fatalities and 1,250 injuries.
The sheer physics involved in a trucking accident results in plenty of injuries. When a small passenger vehicle collides with a truck hauling multiple tons of cargo, it is no surprise that the car will almost always come out on the losing end. In the hands of a negligent driver or maintained by a negligent company, these trucks can be as dangerous as a weapon.
Causes of catastrophic trucking accidents
Speaking of negligence, common causes of truck accidents in North Carolina and beyond include:
- Drowsy driving: Truck drivers face a tremendous amount of pressure to haul as much cargo as possible in as short a time as possible, resulting in shortcuts and the skirting of regulations that require rest time.
- Drug and alcohol abuse: Yes, even commercial drivers are possible of placing their livelihood and the lives of others at risk to indulge in alcohol and drugs.
- Distracted driving: Laptops, cell phones, and tablets, oh my!
- Improper truck maintenance: Blown out tires, failed breaks and other equipment failures can quickly result in tragedy.
- Poor vetting during the hiring process: Not everyone should be trusted with a multi-ton truck. A failure to conduct background checks during the hiring process can result in negligent drivers slipping through the cracks.
- Overloaded trucks: Trucks and trailers are designed to carry a predetermined amount of weight safely under specific conditions. Tinkering with that equation can result in injuries and deaths for innocent motorists and their passengers.
The best you can do for yourself and your family is to be an observant, defensive driver while sharing the road with commercial trucks. If an accident occurs, an experienced Raleigh personal injury lawyer can help you make things right.