Who Can Be Held Liable for Nursing Home Neglect & Abuse in North Carolina?
At Roberts & Harris PC, our nursing home abuse & neglect attorneys in Raleigh know that when our North Carolina residents trust a facility to care for their loved ones, only to find out they were harmed by the staff, contractors, or another third party, the guilt can be incredibly overwhelming.
According to the National Institute on Aging, nursing home abuse and neglect can be sexual, emotional, psychological, physical, or financial, and can occur in any combination of harm.
Unfortunately, elder abuse is not an anomaly.
The National Council on Aging reports estimates ranging as high as five million elders who are abused throughout the country each year, stating one in ten adults over the age of 60 has experienced some form of elder abuse.
If your loved one has been abused while in a nursing home, assisted living facility, or other medical or treatment center, contact our personal injury lawyers in Raleigh, North Carolina today to begin investigating your claim to determine who is responsible for your loved one’s injuries, so we can pursue them for the maximum financial recovery.
When is the Nursing Home Responsible for Abuse or Neglect?
When incidents of abuse, neglect, or injuries occur at a nursing home, there may be more than one party employed by the nursing home – or the nursing home administration – that is responsible.
The facility may be held responsible in cases where:
- Intentional abuse by staff members
- Failures to protect from health and safety hazards
- Imposition of unreasonable or dangerous physical restraints
- Failures to provide daily necessities of living, including food and water
- Medical neglect, including failing to address medical needs or provide medication
The facility may also be responsible for:
- Negligently trained staff
- Failures to properly monitor staff
- Failures to provide adequate security
- Negligent hiring practices, including failures to perform adequate background checks
If you or a loved one has suffered abuse while living or recovering in a nursing home or assisted living facility, contact our skilled personal injury lawyers in Raleigh today to understand your legal rights and options to hold the negligent party liable for your financial recovery.
When is a Third-Party Liable for Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect?
It is not uncommon for nursing homes and assisted living facilities to rely on third parties for equipment, housekeeping, food and beverage deliveries, or maintenance services.
When our North Carolina residents are injured or neglected because of a third party’s actions or inaction, they may be held accountable for your recovery.
That may include:
- Outside contractors improperly maintaining equipment
- Improperly designed or manufactured medical devices, supplies, or equipment
- Medication that was improperly dispensed by automated equipment
- Broke or malfunctioning physical therapy equipment
- Visitors or trespassers that abuse or otherwise injure residents
If you or someone you love has been abused or neglected in a nursing home, contact our dedicated personal injury lawyers in Raleigh, North Carolina today at Roberts & Harris PC by calling (919) 249-5006 or online today.
If we do not produce a positive outcome for your case, you do not pay our legal fees.